Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 23 August 2020

Come With Me, Into The Trees

Yesterday afternoon, though it was still blustery and prone to showers, I decided a change of scene was in order and headed off to Swithland Wood.


This is one of the largest areas of ancient semi-natural woodland Leicsestershire, a remnant of the original Charnwood Forest. Within the wood are two large deep pools, though they are fenced off, which were the sites of slate quarrying going back centuries.


I ended up spending a very pleasant three hours or so just wandering around the northern section minding my own business. There are large open pathways and rides through the wood, and large car-parks at either end. It is well used by Leicestershire folk generally and certainly by locals for dog-walking, however it is another site where it is very easy indeed to slip off the main tracks and find abundant space and solitude. Just what I needed to clear my head a bit.




This is predominantly a deciduous woodland, dominated by oaks and birch but there are plenty of limes, alder and beech. There is a decent understory, with ample hazel, elder, holly and of course honeysuckle, ivy, bracken and brambles. Within the wood there are a couple of more open areas, and on the north-eastern perimeter the wood encloses a grazing pasture.




Although the outlook was showery, I enjoyed some spells of sunshine as I ambled about. But the scene was distinctly autumnal; leaves starting to turn, and with the high winds from Friday in particular there was a general crunch under foot from twigs and acorns ripped from the branches ahead of their time.




Whilst I carried no nets, I had a handful of pots and some ziplock bags. I periodically stopped to browse through foliage, searching out mines or galls, and gazed at every flowering umbelifer I came across along the rides. I photographed a few bits and brought home some samples which can wait for another post another day. The main thing I brought home was a rested mind.



"Come with me, into the trees"

No comments: