Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 11 May 2012

Croft Hovers

These three hoverflies are all from that excellent walk around Croft Hill on Sunday morning ....

I coaxed this one on to my finger for a closer look and took a few one-handed shots for nothing. This one turned out to be extremely useful as it shows the modified front legs and facial profile that help to confirm the ID as Platycheirus manicatus (or at least I am pretty sure it is). New for me.

This one is (again I am pretty sure) Dasysyrphus albostriatus, with those thoracic markings helping to ID. Another one that I haven't recorded before.

I think this is Syrphus vitripennis.

The next shot is one of a series I took of a preening bee at Gilroes Cemetery on Tuesday - a Nomada sp. but as yet no idea which one.

No comments: