Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 7 March 2011

W is for ...

Wheatears, warblers and waders - we're all looking forward to some spring passage in the coming weeks. However here in Leics. we are still awash with other more wintery W's.

Glorious sunshine today, so I nipped out at lunch to have a look for some local Waxwings that are technically a patch tick (I say technically, what I actually mean is that these are within the Soar Valley South patch boundary whereas the previous one I saw a few years ago was on the boundary). Just aswell I bothered as I got some glorious views of the ravenous beauties and even managed to get a few shots ..... click for big. I nipped past on the way home aswell - I took a shot of them all perched in a tree and counted them on the big screen - at least 105.







5 comments:

Stewart said...

Were any of them singing and flycatching Mark? We sometimes see that before they head across the watter!

Stewart said...

Oh and I forgot, stunning photos there too!

Skev said...

Lots of trilling and scoffing going on Stewart, but no singing. As far as I can see the berries are Himalayan Tree-cotoneaster (or something very similar). Must taste bitter as they've survived all winter with no thrushes having a go!

Karen Woolley said...

Stunning photos Mark, beautifully lit..

Skev said...

Thanks Karen - not often I get such a good looking subject in crisp sunshine so I went a bit snap-happy.