Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 12 April 2021

Pretty Polly

Whilst supping a coffee this morning and casually glancing at the garden feeders, I mused to myself that as two were empty and one was about a third full that I probably should re-fill them one more time (I usually stop feeding during spring). Seconds later I almost spluttered the coffee all over the place as a small finch landed on the feeders. I dashed upstairs to grab the camera, and thankfully it was still there when I got back to the kitchen and grabbed a couple of shots ....


Well, I wasn't expecting a Lesser Redpoll any time soon! Throughout the day, it kept re-appearing and occasionally spent time loafing in a neighbours large shrub that overhangs our garden. I grabbed a few more shots, but all were through the windows.


Eventually I decided it was time to try and sneak down the path from the front garden and see if I could get shots without a window in the way. I was in luck ....



That'll do to mark this unexpected garden tick.

Seeing as the sun was out and I had the camera, a few other birds hit the sensor.




House Sparrows have always been a garden scarcity up until the last year, there is now a pair nesting in the eaves of one of the houses that backs onto our garden. So nice to see and hear them more regularly. Also on the garden bird front, yesterday I noted both Blue and Great Tits gathering mosses for nests, just before the skies darkened and we had a series of hail showers. I'm still awaiting Blackcap in the garden; they're late this year, I normally see and hear one well before Chiffchaff.

Here's another pretty Polly, coincidentally singing about Good Fortune ....


The sun has been out for most of the day, so it felt quite spring-like despite the temps still not being quite up where they should be. I should have been in for chemo today but it was deferred as bloods not right (possibly an effect of my second Covid vaccine dose) so later in the afternoon we walked down to the Dog and Gun for a pint or two. Aside from enjoying a pub pint in sunshine, the walk also provided unexpected square ticks with a Field Pansy on a roadside verge, and some escaped Wood Spurge and Aubretia.


Also some Ivy-leaved Speedwell growing on my front garden again ....


Finally, I've recently set-up an new fish tank to replace the BiOrb I set-up in 2010 as that was a total pain to clean out and I wanted something bigger. The new tank is triple the volume and should be easier to maintain. Once it was settled I transferred the remaining fish from the BiOrb and I'm gradually adding a few new fish every couple of weeks. Tank cleanliness is also assisted by the likes of these Amano Shrimps ....


Before you ask - I didn't stick the TG-6 in the water to get this shot. Cheers!

No comments: