Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 26 April 2019

Bluebells / Bell-ends

This morning I had a quick walk down the lane to have a squint over the recently ploughed field (nothing to see though) and to collect a bit of hawthorn for the Brown-tails and a Green-brindled Crescent that I'm rearing. Sadly, what I mainly found down there was absolutely loads of fly-tipped waste. Most of it had been tipped over field gates and into the ditches, which in turn means that the council will not touch it as it becomes the landowners responsibility and and it therefore becomes an even bigger issue for the local farmer. At least one pile was clearly the by-product of illicit drug production: silver-coated heat reflective sheeting, high-powered light bulbs and the whole lot smelt strongly of weed. I rang the council anyway to make sure they knew about it. I also reported a pile of asbestos to them. In fairness the council usually do a good job of clearing up fly-tipped rubbish, but the actions of a few complete bell-ends causing these issues in the first place is infuriating.

In a complete antithesis to this modern suburban shit, I headed up to the Charley Woods near Charnwood Lodge with Nichola later in the morning. We had a good quiet and peaceful walk around both Burrow Wood and Cat Hill Wood taking in the beauty of the bluebells. Naturally I had a poke about in bracket fungi whilst there and potted up a few beetles for another day, and after a couple of hours we found ourselves taking in lunch and a pint at the Copt Oak.

I won't bother labelling the photos, as I reckon you'll be able to tell the bluebells from the bell-ends.








No comments: