Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 22 May 2010

Narborough Bog 21/05/2010

First of two posts this evening.

I nipped over to Narborough Bog yesterday late afternoon with Nichola and the boys for a mooch about with the net. It was a bit quiet though, plenty of Micropterix calthella on buttercups, a few Adela rufimitrella and Bactra lancealana, plus Green and Common Carpets, but nothing else.

Micropterix calthella - I had the wrong camera with me but you get the gist

Narborough Bog is also a good site for general wildflowers and fungi - not that I am any good at identifying most of them. Here's a few I think I do know - let me know if I'm wrong!

Yellow Archangel

Red Campion

Ground Ivy

Daisy!

Anyone got any idea what this strange foamy-looking fungi is?


I was a bit disappointed with the general lack of moths, and despite the warm sunny days we've had I only saw 1 teneral and 1 adult 'blue' damselfly (I really couldn't be arsed to grill it for an ID). Still, a pleasant couple of hours away from the masses and man-made noise. Aside from the M1 trundling past. And the railway line of course ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, the fungi looks like Chicken of the Woods.

Skev said...

Thanks Dean. These fungi have some bloody bizarre vernacular names!