Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 6 April 2008

Life in the Garden - 06/04/2008

Other than birds, moths and butterflies, mammals and amphibians I've haven't maintained any record or lists for other orders that use our garden. I've got a pretty good mental note of things like dragonflies and ladybirds, but there are hundreds of other invertebrates that use our garden - some more welcome than others.
So, every now and then when I can be arsed, I'll post a few photos of odd stuff under this Life in the Garden heading.


A few ants about today, not sure exactly what species but these are the common 'black' ants you get everywhere. This one is on a flowering cultivated spurge.


We get loads of these Common Green Shield-bugs in the garden.


A lot of bees on our flowering heather today - I think this one is Buff-tailed Bumble-bee.

Seeing as there is a level of dependency of these things on our garden, as with this bee, I'll also use this thread for things like changes in the season and flowering plants in the garden.


Some sort of cultivated heather - this one has been flowering for weeks now.


The overnight snow very quickly cleared this morning, apart from in deep shade. We have a few cultivated primroses (I prefer the wild coloured ones. Nichola likes these gaudy yellow/orange ones).


I really like these cultivated Snake's-head Fritillary though.

2 comments:

davidearlgray said...

I thought snake's head Fritillary was a protected species?

Skev said...

Hence this being cultivated ..... as in widely available from your local garden centre.

The only 'dragged in from the field' plants have are a couple of birch and a very spindly crap blackthorn bush.