Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 24 March 2019

Sprung

Today was a really nice sunny spring day; plenty of sunshine, light breeze and moderate temps. I needed fresh air and some exercise, so Nichola drove us over to Huncote Embankment for a bit of a leisurely amble. And very nice it was too, with Blackthorn and Gorse in full bloom, Chiffchaffs in full song and with a bit of invert action to boot.




The smell from the abundant Blackthorn was great, and there was plenty going on around the blooms. I failed to successfully point the camera at a few hoverflies, flies and bees but I managed to get these: 

Small Tortoiseshell

I'm pretty sure this is Andrena flavipes - Yellow-legged Mining Bee

 


Plenty going on around the gorse too, with abundant ladybirds and Gorse Weevils, plus a fair few shieldbugs.

Sloe Bug / Hairy Shieldbug

Gorse Shieldbug

Around the pool I had a bit of poke around the reedmace heads, finding larvae of Limnaecia phragmitella in the process along with a couple of Water Ladybirds and Bulrush Bugs.


I decided to collect a fallen stem, cut into foot-long sections so I could fit it in my bag. When I got home I had a poke about in the stem and found a few more bits.

Think this is also Limnaecia phragmitella, though actually in the stem-sheath.

Think this is a pair of Notaris spp. weevils, either N. acridulus or N. scirpi - retained to key.
Keyed to Notaris scirpi

European Cinchbug (Ischnodemus sabuleti)  - micropterous adult

Bulrush Bug (Chilacis typhae)

2 comments:

Gibster said...

Good to see you out and about again buddy. Hugely jealous of that Bulrush Bug, I hadn't even heard of it until after I moved up here and you just don't get them this far north.

Skev said...

Cheers Seth - now I'm sorted I'll hopefully be getting out more this year around work and other committments.