Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 17 March 2008

This week, I have mostly been listening to ..

.. some quite simply brilliant ska & punk/rock from c1977 - 1981. Following a comment in Blyth Birders blog I was compelled to go up to the loft and dig out a load of my oldest vinyl, including the first single I ever bought (The Prince by Madness) and other Two-Tone classics. The c1979 - 1981 Ska and Mod revival was the first musical movement I got caught up in (being a couple of years too young at the time to really appreciate the real punk movement) so really good to listen in again to this. Made me want to go and buy a pair of stay-prest, Fred Perry polo shirt, black loafers and harrington jacket - again.


'Buster, he sold the heat ..'

I duly recorded this to the PC using the 'Clean' software and then uploaded to the i-Pod alongside some downloaded and copied from CD classics. So the listening has included early Madness, The Specials, The Selector and The Beat alongside The Clash, The Stranglers, Souxsie and the Banshees and a bit of The Sex Pistols for good measure. A few odd tracks by the like of The Buzzcocks and Bad Manners (Inner London Violence), and also a few 'white-reggae' tracks from the first two albums by The Police (don't laugh, they were great before Sting disappeared up his own tantric arse in the amazon). Only stuff missing is some good early tracks by The Jam as I've not got to that CD yet.
I've been missing the in-car i-Pod entertainment for a few weeks - my crappy old Peugeot at least had an auxilliary input to the cheapo stereo but since having a company provided car I've had to go without. However, I've now bought a FM transmitter so I can tune into radio Skev's i-Pod again.
As usual I'm now changing the mood (completely) so the i-Pod is in the process of being re-populated with some dirty house, hard house and club techno mixes for a weeks or so.

4 comments:

Russ Malin said...

If you need any Banshees I've everything they have ever done.... God bless em. One noticeable omission for your list (apart from the legend that is Numan) ? Where are The Associates? Billy McKenzie RIP. Scottish new wave lives on.....

The Drunkbirder said...

Russ, it seems we're all inspired by the same music. I'm listening to a bit of early Japan stuff (Assemblage) and Human League (Travelogue) at the moment.

Mark, give me a rundown on the FM transmitter you get, I need to do something with my ipod.

Russ Malin said...

Obviously it goes without saying that my earliest influences were Red Branch and iNDUSTRiE ;)

Skev said...

Russ - I've currently got c35GB of music on my external hard-drive including a few tracks by Numan and The Associates, but I'd usually mix these with early '80s synth stuff (Ultravox, Simple Minds, Blancmange, League, OMD etc). I like to chop and change the music I listen to regularly - within reason - obviously I won't be populating the i-Pod with the full works of Steps.

John - I've bought a Belkin Tunecast II (other manufacturers devices are available). It comes with a power lead for use with the car lighter socket, and the i-Pod (or any other mp3 player or similar device) just connects through the mini-jack socket. Select a FM channel on the car radio that has no or a very weak broadcast, select the same channel on the Tunecast and you're away. I used it today - works fine but I noticed that half way to Kings Lynn the music quality degraded slightly - retuned to another channel and all okay. I guess when travelling around (obviously not the typical within-county travelling) you might have to re-tune every now and then but very easy to do.