Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 20 January 2021

5MR Birding 2021

I've seen that many fellow bloggers have declared, or at least looked at, an area with a five-mile radius (5MR) from their home as a basis for some lockdown listing and beyond. Whilst my overarching self-interest for 2021 is my home 1k square, I do of course need a bit more to sustain year-round interest. I've already said that I could do with getting back into a bit of general birding, and so I've duly looked at what a 5MR area from my postcode looks like. Could this be enough to generate some birding interest ....


Remember this is Leicestershire: we have no coast, precious little woodland and even less heathland. The mainstays of birding interest in such a land-locked County are reservoirs, landfill sites and ex-gravel extraction sites. A quick scout around my 5MR area reveals zero reservoirs, zero woodland, zero landfill sites and zero ex-gravel extraction sites. But all is not lost: the entirety of my old 'Soar Valley South' patch falls within this, as does the whole of Aylestone Meadows along the wider Soar Valley floodplain, Croft Hill/Huncote Embankment and a number of big parks. Patently it also includes the 3km Foot-it area that was declared for January birding challenges in the past. I also noted that close to the north-north-eastern edge of the area, just shy of the City, is the mighty KP stadium.


Whilst I've not started yet, I very much doubt that I've missed anything if I were to start a 5MR Bird List 2021. Some of this area will be easily accessible by bicycle but that is not on the cards for some time yet as I continue to recover from surgery. I guess that the very local birding will have to do for now, but it would be good to take a few longer walks out of the square when the weather perks up and hopefully we'll have some easement before the first flush of spring. I'm not setting a target - lets get back into using the bins more often and take it from there!

2 comments:

Gibster said...

I admit it, I had to Google what KP was regards the stadium. Obviously I knew who played there! Wikipedia tells me that it is the 20th largest football ground in England with a capacity of 32,261. It then goes on to state that the capacity is 32,312. And that the record attendance is 32,488...meh!

Anyway, welcome to the madness that is 5MR, buddy.

Skev said...

Gotta love Wikipedia ....