Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 28 January 2010

Lunch In The Wood

As I mentioned before, I don't keep a yearlist these days. Hence I will strongly refute any suggestions that my lunch time jaunt to Swithland Wood was simply to pick up a couple of species for the year ....

It was a really nice bright spring-like sunny day (at least until mid-afternoon when it turned dull and drizzly). Almost immediately as I walked into the wood I was aware of tits everywhere in the canopy, and I could hear both Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpeckers calling. It didn't take long to pick up Treecreeper and Marsh Tit - very nice they were too.

Despite grilling all of the moving tits, no sign of a hoped-for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker tagging along. A group (how may actually constitues a flock?) of c15 Siskin were busily flitting about and calling loudly. There was also a similar sized group of Redwing rooting through leaf-litter. All in all, a very pleasant half hour.

No comments: