Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 22 August 2009

Sallow Snake

Here's the hawk-moth larva I found last night on the overhanging sallow from a neighbouring garden. First things first - I misidentified it last night in haste. It's not a Poplar - it's actually an Eyed Hawk-moth. Quite pleased about this as it's the first time I've seen the larva of this species. It's pretty much fully grown at c70mm - I've boxed it with sallow leaves and hopfully it will pupate successfully so I can photograph the pupa and a superb freshly emerged adult. Eyed Hawk-moth All hawk-moth larvae have 'horns' on their 11th segment Spiracles Typical lepidopteran arrangement (apart from geometridae) - 3 pairs of true legs on 1st - 3rd segments, four pairs of prolegs on 6th - 9th segments, anal claspers on 11th. Frass balls big as midget gems .....

1 comment:

The Leicester Llama said...

Mmmm - frass balls...