Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 10 May 2022

Inspection, Check One

I left the MOL lure out in the garden on Sunday, which brought in another couple of Pammene sp. but again these looked to be Pammene suspectana - not a sniff of anything different so will not be hanging that one out here again, at least not this year.


The hindwings for both looked exactly as expected. I managed to get one sufficiently knocked out to manipulate it and check, but the other would not play ball and I ended up overdoing it, so at that point it was easier to pin it to check ....


So whilst I'd see enough to assure myself they were both P. suspectana, one flew off and the other was no more so I made the snap decision to attempt my first moth gen det of anything smaller than an Oligia sp. I knew what I was looking for (presence of spines on sacculus for P. suspectana vs absent in P. albuginana). I managed to tease the bits out with a lot less fuss than I had expected, and managed to just about manipulate them enough to show the necessary feature ....


But I have to say that trying to get the valvae flat and spread in the classic position as you see in the dissection websites etc was a step too far for me. For now anyway. I'm not as dextrous as I'd like to be and my eyesight is somewhere between 'needing reading glasses all of the time' and 'absolutely you should be wearing varifocal glasses all of the time', so moving from microscope to normal vision is becoming a pain. I'll get some proper optical aids at some point, it's not a priority right now though.

Another moth that I was intending to photograph and check properly was a presumed Spruce Carpet. I've always thought that Spruce and Grey Pine Carpets were relatively straightforward to separate, but there is a school of thought that many of the external characters are not sufficiently reliable, and they can't be separated on genitalia either. But, antennal structure of males is different (see here). I still expect that if it looks like Spruce or Grey Pine then it will be, but it doesn't hurt to check one or two from various sites. The last one I had was female so no point looking. This one was a bit worn and knackered and - typically - threw a seven whilst waiting to be photographed. Still, it made checking the antennal character easier, showing the shortly serrate antennae of Spruce Carpet. I was also re-assured that the feature is discernible with a x10 hand lens and a decent macro camera - but manipulating the moth to check that would not be. I reckon the easiest thing is to tweak off one of the antennae of a live moth so it can carry on it's way whilst still being confirmed. Anyway, here is the forewing and an antenna through both the TG-6 and microscope.


This one from last night has not been checked (not much point as I separated a few from last year) ....

Grey/Dark Dagger

.... and this one from Saturday night didn't need checking.

Orange Footman - first here since 2018


No comments: