Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 18 February 2021

Blotchulism

I had an e-mail today, asking me to verify a couple of records on Naturespot and incidentally highlighting a leaf fungi on ivy - Boeremia hedericola. The photos were immediately recognisable - I'd seen this years ago, wondered if it was a leaf mine, realised it was fungal and then completely ignored it and forgot about it. So today I nipped around the corner to the nearest big clump of ivy, literally across the road from the Ash tree I nabbed some keys from on Tuesday. It didn't take long to find numerous leaves with big roundish brown blotches on them. Like this one ....


I grabbed a couple for a closer look and to get these quick shots. Here's the blotch closer up ....


Stunning. I don't know why I bother looking at insects when there are these fascinating things around. He typed sarcastically.

Blotchulism - sounds like it could be the name of some chilled out ambient track. It isn't.

1 comment:

AJ Cann said...

TG-6 is working well!