Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 29 December 2020

A Bit Pc

No, I don't mean that I've come over all politically correct. I'm not even sure what 'politically correct' is meant to mean these days anyway - I don't think any Politicians from the main parties are correct on anything, and most of what they spout appears to rile c50% of the population one way or the other. Anyway .... I mean this Pc ....

A ghost mine of the adventive Phyllocnistis citrella, this one on a fruiting lemon tree

We nipped out to the local garden centre this afternoon so I could stock up on another sackful of sunflower hearts. As always whilst there, I checked if they had any citrus plants in stock - they always seem to have them in the winter and early spring. They had a load, but I wasn't taking too much notice of what the plants were until I found mines. Aside from the above I found these on a plant with smaller and darker leaves ....



One of these is tenanted. Somehow, the mined leaves fell off and into my pocket to check out. This plant clearly wasn't the same as the lemon trees, and had no visible fruits like the smaller kumquat plants, so I bothered to look at the label ....

Sweet. Well, kinda sour actually.

I've found mines on plants at this centre before, and also at a local supermarket. This is now the third year in a row that I've recorded it; I'm not that lucky - I guess most people would not bother looking.

We had some snow today as well. A slightly pathetic effort, with some big clumpy flakes in short bursts that were never going to trouble the roads or give small kids anything to get excited about.

Here's something that I like, which I suspect a large number of people would find to be not PC ....

1 comment:

martinf said...

Have struggled to get into leaf mines if I'm honest.....