Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 10 April 2020

Powdered / Cronker

The moth trap is still a bit weak; warm sunny days followed by clear cool nights are never a good combination, and even less so in what is still early spring. There were a couple of NFY last night though, and the best of these was this one ....

Powdered Quaker

Best as in occurrence, not in how it looks as to be fair it's not the smartest individual and it didn't behave for the camera either! This is far less than annual in my garden, and this is actually the first here since 2013.

The other NFY was more expected ...

Early Thorn

I don't especially like using flash for moths but it always seems to work with this species.

I've had a right lazy day, mainly sleeping in the sunshine. I did have some luck on the bird list though; one I've been expecting to drift into view at some point, but when three come directly over together cronking away and interracting then adding Raven is easier than squinting at a distant blob in the bins. As it happened, after the three came over I saw at least one other soaring around above the embankment - quite probably somewhere over Whetstone Golf Course, and quite probably all are birds from Croft Quarry. I managed to get a very poor shot of the kind of blob I might have expected to be my best view from here.

Use your imagination!

I also spent some time frustratingly trying to get a shot of one of the two Blackcaps that were singing from the embankment today, with at least one of these coming into the garden on the ivy. This was the best I got so far .....


Otherwise I've not bothered looking too much today, though this weevil on the sun lounger was a nice distraction ..

Sitona lineatus

No comments: