Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 9 April 2020

Lily the Red

To be honest, I thought these would show themselves a bit earlier ...

Scarlet Lily Beetle

Whilst not quite as early as expected, they were exactly where I expected them to be - clambering around on the stems and leaves of every clump of Snake's-head Fritillaries that I have. And as soon as approached, they drop into the undergrowth. Also a male Orange-tip flittering around the garden today, and several Epistrophe eligans hovering about.

Late yesterday evening, I sat in the garden with a bottle of beer. Turned out to be a lucky move as I could just about make out a calling Little Owl over the hum of the M1. I was also struck by how much aircraft activity there still is, where exactly are people going? Birdwise today, a flyover Skylark was not completely unexpected, and the/a Blackcap was singing on the embankment in the morning. In the afternoon, just as I was taking the above snap, I realised that there was a Willow Warbler singing along the embankment out of sight in some sycamores. And then another was singing closer, before the first had another burst. And then they were both quiet and I didn't hear them again. Had I been inside these would have been missed, and they are certainly not annual on the embankment (or at least not outside of working hours!).


3 comments:

martinf said...

Still never blooming seen one...

Skev said...

I get way too many of them ...... but not seen Asparagus Beetle as yet.

martinf said...

I'll swap you. Get loads on my asparagus patch!