Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 22 February 2010

Mothing Memories - Getting the Goat

After the photos I uploaded a few days ago, I've been looking for a batch from a follow-up visit to Wicken Fen in May 2003. Finally found them tonight, and in particular one species that literally had us exclaiming expletives. Sitting on the deck next to one of the traps was a massive, unexpected and fecking awesome Goat Moth - superb moth and one that I would love to see again.

5 comments:

Stewart said...

They reckon they smell like a goat or is that just the larval hole in a tree?

Bennyboymothman said...

It is a beast of a Moth! what is suitable habitat to find them at? i'm thinking fens, boggy, marshy etc.

Skev said...

Stewart - as far as I know the larvae can stink a bit 'goatish' - I've no experience of the larvae, but this adult certainly didn't smell. Not that I routinely sniff moths ....

Ben - yes, fens, bogs, marshes but also parkland, golf courses etc - main requirement seems to be trees in damp low-lying situations, especially where winter flooding occurs.

Paul Riddle said...

Jesus christ Skev, it looks like something outta a horror movie, don't tell me you picked that damm thing up???

Skev said...

No problem handling moths Paul - but there was no way I was going to handle that huge locust the other week!