Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 23 May 2009

Maniac Micro, 21/05/2009

Driving home from work at c17:30, I was surprised whilst sitting at the traffic lights around the big Fosse Park roundabout on the Soar Valley Way to see a micro suddenly land on the windscreen. Apart from clearly seeing that it was a small micro, I couldn't make out what it was and thought nothing more of it when I pulled off. About 50M further down the road at 55mph, I realised it was still there - clinging on in what must have been a raging vortex for such a tiny creature. When I got to the Foxhunter Roundabout, it was still there and started to mooch about the screen when I stopped again at lights. I could now see that it was an Argyresthia trifasciata. I expected it to bugger of at any minute but once again, it clung on when I pulled off. In fact, it stayed on the screen all the way to a temporary traffic light in the middle of Whetstone village - about 2.3miles. This has to be the most evolved and efficient example of species dispersal ever recorded!

No comments: