Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 17 July 2021

Going Out

I nipped out this morning to speculatively try a couple of lures. No joy with those, but whilst out I manged to see a new longhorn completely by chance - Paracorymbia fulva. I saw one nectaring on a ragwort as I walked past, and then with a bit of searching and chasing with a camera I saw four in total. They weren't fussy, stopping on every possible nectar/pollen source in a weedy patch.





I also had another new beetle in the week to the garden trap, though I had no idea what it was from a bit of searching. A quick plea on Facebook and John Lamin quickly gave it a name, and it became immediately clear why I was stumped. It is Conopalpus testaceus, which has two colour forms but the only images on Kerbtier and Naturespot are of the dark form.


Last night the garden trap was pretty busy with non-leps, including a few hoppers with another one new to me ....

Edwardsiana geometrica - perhaps the only easily identifiable one in this group

Iassus lanio - annual in the garden trap

Oncopsis alni - one I've had in the garden trap before

Allygus modestus - another one I've had in the trap before

A couple more caddisflies too ....

Glyphotaelius pellucidus

Athripsodes cinereus

I've got a few micros being gen detted which will hopefully confirm a couple and perhaps add to both the garden and my British moth lists.

Tonight, I'm going out into the wilderness and I'll be sat around a moth sheet. For the first time since June 2019 as far as I can think. It will be absolutely fantastic whether there are moths or not!

2 comments:

martinf said...

enjoy your night out! Both those beetles would be new for me. Amazing to me that there are so many to see...

Skev said...

Turned out great, with a new for me moth too!