Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 18 January 2020

Winter Heliotrope

My vascular plant list is, frankly, pathetic. It is also probably a bit skewed; there are a number of scarce/rare plants that I've either made an effort to see or have had shown to me whilst on PSL events whilst there are lots of relatively common species that I may well have seen but have certainly not acknowledged. So today, after a morning at the hospital for routine scans and with the weather having turned dry, cold and sunny, I thought I'd make the effort to see one that I've had a mind for a while - Winter Heliotrope.

We have an excellent county resource for recording and sharing photos - Naturespot. A quick look to see where I may have a chance of seeing my target, and blow me it's in the next village. So I coupled my motivation to see the plant with my desire to get out and work off some pounds and went out for a long walk.

Finding the plant was a doddle, as having looked on Naturespot I knew exactly where it would be. It's a spot I've driven past innumerable times.


There were two clumps, one right on the bank of the brook and one against a boundary. Getting good photos was not so easy though as one clump was in bright sunshine and one in deep shade.






Whilst my plant skills are limited, I am pretty good at recognising something once I've seen it, so I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing this in various places. I intend to draw up a list of 50 or so relatively common species that I should try and see this year.

6 comments:

Gibster said...

The PSL site tells me you're already well over 500 plant species - hardly shite! But hitting 600 will come easy. And then 700. By the time you hit 750 you'll be well into it, so 1000 will be just a season away, you'll see.

Gibster said...

Nice Ramularia purpurascens, btw...

Skev said...

Hmm - gonna have to walk back there ....

Steve Gale said...

If you fancy a day out getting a load of south-east ticks then just say the word Skev.

martinf said...

Sounds pretty much like me. I've seen a few but need to make more of an effort, Have just got the new vegetative guide to boost my motivation,

Skev said...

Thanks Steve, might well take you up on that sometime. Got literature Martin, it's mainly a lack of drive for green stuff!