Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 30 January 2020

Conference Season

No, not the shambles that are political conferences! For me for a change, it is the season of conferences for biological recorders.

Last weekend I headed over to Birmingham with Adrian Russell and a number of VC55 recorders for the Butterfly Conservation UK Moth Recorders Meeting. Despite being a regular recorder for over two decades, and this meeting having been held annually for around ten years, this is the first time I'd bothered going. Not a bad day out all in all, though most of the presentations were a bit heavy on the stats and a little dry - though given that the main thrust was the recently published Atlas it's maybe not surprising.

In a couple of weeks time, I'm heading down to Oxford for the BENHS Coleopterists Day. Another long-running event that I've never been to, and one that I'm looking forward to. If nothing else it will be good to meet up again with a few PSL listers that I've not seen for a while.

Much closer to home, we have the LRWT Wildlife Recording Conference in March. Always a good day, with a good range of topics that are almost all locally biased. And I'm sure before long we'll also have a date set for a Leics. & Rutland Moth Recorders Meeting.

Should be well on the way to being pumped for the peak entomological season by the end of these meetings!

3 comments:

martinf said...

See you at the Coleopterist's meeting!

Gibster said...

Fooksake! I'm heading south just too late to make the coleopterist's meet and heading back norf again before your LRWT meet. In fact, I think I'm missing about everything! :(

Skev said...

Yes, see you there if not at the pre-meet big brekkie shin-dig.

Seth, you are clearly much better at meticulously researching the nads of a gnat than planning your time in the southern badlands.