Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 4 January 2020

2020 Moth List

We've had a relatively mild spell, but I've not been tempted to go to the effort of putting out the moth trap as yet. For one thing it is still too dark in the mornings to empty before heading off to work, and last night I was out at the local football ground watching the LCFC U23s give Wolves a pasting. Tonight I'm at the KP for some FA Cup action, so I doubt the trap will be out until next weekend at the earliest unless there is a ridiculously tempting mild night.

I have been putting on a 12W Blacklight LED bulb though, operated in an old outdoor light fitting that is still up tucked on the side of our porch out of sight. And I have moths on the 2020 garden list already. x2 Early Moths on 01/01/2020 and this worn Winter Moth last night.


The bottom end of the garden is still a bog, though this morning whilst grabbing a couple of leaves I had a look at the Hart's-tongue Fern and there are definite Psychoides spp. mines. I'll leave them be for a while before trying to work out what they are.

Whilst the garden is damp, one thing I must make some effort on before the spring is checking out the various molluscs around the garden again. There must be a chance that something new has moved in.

No comments: