Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 10 August 2022

Larger than life, and twice as ugly ...

Here's a couple from the garden trap last night.

First up, an absolute beast of a longhorn that I found loafing on the patio - though undoubtedly it had been attracted to the light trap. At 26mm nose to tail it is a pretty hefty beetle, but as longhorns go it's far from the most attractive. This is the second I've had to the garden trap, first was 2020.

Arhopalus rusticus

The other highlight though is a lot smaller, and almost certainly a lot more exciting. Probably anyway, I can't be certain what it is as yet ....

Scrobipalpa sp.

All of the potential candidates for this one are absent from the VC55 list, albeit there is another specimen from one of Pete Leonard's traps a week or so ago pending gen det too. Once dissected, this will be new for me and the garden either way.

Some may recognise the post title as a lyric from this 1985 track, the prophetic opening line of which is "I've seen the future, I can't afford it."

No comments: