Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 21 July 2022

Hot Moth Action

I'd like to have posted this earlier, but on Tuesday my body was frazzled and yesterday I was out of action at the hospital - finally having all drains and stents removed so I really feel like a major step towards full recovery now.

Anyway, here in Whetstone Leics. the temps on Monday and Tuesday were - quite frankly - ridiculous. Both day and night. Monday topped out at around 38°C, and Tuesday was over 39°C, whilst the night time temps on both nights never dropped below 22°C with temps at dusk hovering around 30°C. Unbearable. I ran the garden trap on Monday night, the fourth consecutive night of recording, but couldn't bear another effort on Tuesday. I'll wait a few days now to catch up on some sleep and brace myself for another rise in temps later in the week (albeit not so dramatic).

The Monday night catch was an excellent 735 of 127sp. which I think is the highest species total for the garden and possibly the highest catch total, certainly from one trap. Have to be honest, I used to keep tabs on that kind of things but I've completely lost track.

Absolute highlights over the hot period were two garden macro ticks - one expected, one not. Ironically, the expected one was new to me and until recently was considered a rare migrant, but is clearly now a rapidly expanding resident.

Dewick's Plusia - a British Tick that I expected to turn up before long

Lesser-spotted Pinion - never on the garden list radar

No comments: