Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 29 April 2022

Mullein things over

The garden trap has been out over the last three nights; I nearly didn't bother as it's been a bit cool and breezy overnight but whilst numbers have not been great I did pull in a couple of these ....

Mullein

I had one on Tuesday night, which by the time I'd finished photographing it and it had been in and out of the pot/fridge a couple of times had slight damage to the left forewing tip. So another one following on last night that was fresh as a daisy and fully intact was clearly another individual. Which is great, seeing as the last garden record was way back in May 2005. Actually I've never seen an adult anywhere aside from my garden, all other records I have are larval.

A few other bits but nothing too exciting. I'll be trying pheromone lures over the BH weekend hopefully.

Waved Umber

Spruce Carpet sl
It is very probably a Spruce Carpet on markings, but there are strong suggestions that antennal characteristics of males need to be checked to reliably separate Spruce and Grey Pine Carpets so I will start checking the odd ones I get. Except this one was female.


I had a quick search for a suitable link to some music, as nothing came immediately to mind apart from 'Mull of Kintyre' that was never going to happen. I found an album called All The Right Doors by The Mullins. Never heard of them, and had a quick play .... a load of Christian nonsense that made McCartney seem viable. So here's a much more tenuous link ....

 
 Of course Larry Mullen Jr is the U2 drummer ....

No comments: