Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 3 September 2021

Time / Live

It's the same old for me in later summer / early autumn: all of the enthusiasm that builds up to a spring and early summer peak seems to just dissipate. There is no trigger for this as such, but I seem to hit this every (normal) year one way or another. Part of it, I guess, is the additional strain on my time of working whilst others are off on their break - which usually means picking up additional work. And I generally don't get much a break during the summer; pre-Covid, when travel was actually possible, if we went abroad it would be later in the year anyway.

Either way, I've done nothing remotely noteworthy in the last couple of weeks or so. Even the garden trap has been quiet. And - at long last - we are actually going to get our garden ripped out and re-landscaped with some drainage. But that also means no or limited garden moth trapping for a good two or three weeks after this weekend.

I am looking forward to some live music though: a mix of things booked pre-Covid that were rescheduled (twice) and new events.

First up, I'll be heading to Sheffield for a slightly niche gig: Heaven 17 playing tracks from the first two Human League releases, Reproduction and Travelogue. Of course you all know that Heaven 17 were formed from the original Human League line-up (Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh were joined by Glenn Gregory after splitting with Phil Oakey and Adrian Wright). This was originally scheduled for March 2020, then Sep 2020 ....

A couple of weeks later, I'm off to the Isle of Wight Festival, the same one that was meant to be June 2020, then June 2021 .... Not the strongest festival line up you'll ever see, but it's a good crack and overall I'll probably spend more time the Big Top than at the main stage.

I'll be back in Sheffield in early October for a rescheduled 808 State gig ....

Later in October, I'm off to Birmingham to see Public Service Broadcasting ....

And looking further ahead, Gary Numan is popping into Leicester in May ....


Along with the return of full attendance Premier League games, some Europa League games coming up and a family break in October, my time for all things natural is stretched. But I'm sure the enthusiasm will return, as sure as the sun rises, and autumn turns to winter turns to ....

1 comment:

martinf said...

That’s a good line up. Maximo Park in the Big Top will be good. With you on the waning enthusiasm though. But already excited for spring 2022. Just need to get through specimen backlog first.