Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 4 August 2014

A Lot of Fen

This weekend was another pan-species listing gathering, this time over at Woodwalton Fen arranged in fine style by Jonathan Newman. All the ingredients were there for a top weekend; a brilliant site with potential for some really interesting stuff, and a group of great naturalists with a range of expertise meaning that overall we saw a lot of stuff, and a lot of it was new for me. An excellent weekend all round I reckon, as aside from the sweeping, dipping, turning, beating and checking we had a good laugh too. A lot of leg-work though and not much sleep for me as I ran a few traps overnight and was up at the crack of dawn to go through them, so I was completely knackered when I got home yesterday and crashed out for a few hours. It'll take me a couple of days to get all the IDs sorted and stuff into MapMate, but I managed to photograph a few bits - here's selection of stonking beetles.

Diaperis boleti - this one feeds inside Birch Polypore

Musk Beetle (Aromia moschata) - this is a mega beetle, and bloody big too!

Tansy Beetle (Chrysolina graminis)
Superb rare beetle, should be on Tansy in Yorkshire so how on Water Mint at Woodwalton?

Curculio rubidus - Notable B weevil that found me rather than the other way around

Nanophyes marmoratus - really smart tiny weevil from Purple Loostrife

No comments: