Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 22 March 2022

PG Tick

On Sunday afternoon, whilst I was out at the KP watching LCFC win, I speculatively left the MOL pheromone lure in the trap out in the garden. I put it out at 13:00, literally just before I got in the car and headed off to the game.

Here's a very sketchy map: the blue dot is home, the green dots are definite oaks that I know of that are closest to home, and the orange dots are a large tree that I think is oak (I can't get close to it and I've never bothered trying to look at it to see, but looks like it 'naked' from the lane) and an area on Whetstone Golf Course that I think has oaks (again to be checked). The green dots to the SW of home are those at Victory Park (see last post). There are almost certainly more oaks within this image than I can recall. Either way, as you can see there are oaks dotted about reasonably close to home (within 1km) but it is not exactly abundant.


I had no expectations, but with good sunshine, a bit of warmth and a light breeze it was as good a time to try an any. I got home at 16:30 and headed straight to the garden to check the trap. Well, blow me. x2 Pammene giganteana were within it. I am 100% certain that these are completely unrelated to the use of the trap on Saturday: the one I took to photograph was still in the fridge, and had there been any inadvertently taken into the car they would have been buzzing around the trap on the passenger seat for sure. It's perhaps not an entirely unexpected garden tick, as there are plenty of similar experiences being posted on the 'Pheromone' Facebook group of garden records. This was considered a rare moth in VC55 before last spring, but it is clearly quite common - just inconspicuous and perhaps poorly attracted to light traps.



post-script: whilst I was writing this I'd left out my new ARG lure (intended for Pammene argyrana) in the garden for the last hour of daylight. I checked just after posting - another x2 Pammene giganteana, so they're clearly not coming from too far away!

x2 from this evening on left, x2 from Sunday afternoon on right

1 comment:

Gibster said...

Great stuff, buddy! Reading this and your previous post reminded me of the Heart Moth in Surrey. Back in the day (25 odd years ago) it was known from Ashtead Common (ancient woodland, 100s of veteran oaks) which is to be expected of an oak-lover, but also the far SE of the county where the only mature oaks were dotted around an 'empty' landscape of crop fields. Clearly all it actually required was a landscape of huge oak crowns and wasn't fussed at all whether the understorey was woodland glades or wall to wall wheat. Sounds like it may be a similar story with your PG? I recently learned that Heart Moth has crashed on Ashtead, I've no idea why.