Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 22 March 2020

Well Hello, Doli

Lasy night, whilst browsing through some old files for something else, I came across a quite nice shot of a fly that looked like it might be worth trying to get an ID for. I pretty much knew where to start looking from the shape and jizz of it, and fairly quickly found what seemed to be a nailed on contender via NatureSpot. So quickly that it is pretty clear that back when I took it I didn't ever bother looking for an ID. Anyway, here it is - one of the Dolichopodidae ....

Liancalus virens - Croft Pastures 07/03/2015

I posted the photo on a UK Diptera facebook group and got positive vibes so I'll be submitting the record shortly.

Today has been a lovely spring day, sunny, dry and warm. At home. All day. I spent some of the day preparing, roasting, serving and eating a great roast dinner - well it is both Mother's Day and Nichola's Birthday so I figured it was only right.

Later this afternoon I managed a short garden safari, and found another Diptera tick - or at least I am pretty sure it is, let's see how the record flies (no pun intended).

Norellia spinipes - one of two seen, both near but not on daffodils

The warmth also attracted a few larger flies to loaf on the house wall soaking up the heat. None identifiable, and I'm not inclined to start potting up difficult diptera as yet.

Think this is one of the Muscidae

Not much else, but it did at last feel like things could start perking up. Except the garden mothing - as soon the sun dipped it turned very cold and I would expect temps to plummet tonight.

A dull Green Shieldbug still in winter colours

Salticus scenicus. Probably

No comments: