Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Thursday 5 March 2020

CL Round-up

It's turned into one of those weeks where before you know it you've lost a couple of days. On Monday evening I worked through some specimens, and here I am on Thursday evening still playing catch up. Tuesday turned into one of those once in a blue moon days at work where you turn up at the usual time and arrive home the next day after some stupidly long hours trying to work through a problem. Weds was then a short return for part of the morning, and the afternoon was a wash out as I crashed into a coma-like sleep for a few hours before getting up and out in time for the LCFC FA cup tie.

Anyway, here's a few more images - the last from my jaunt to Charnwood Lodge on Sunday. Tomorrow evening I'll make good on my pledge on recording and get these submitted before - hopefully - getting out for some more local nat hist at the weekend.

First up some eight-legged stuff.

Believe this Metellina sp. can be confidently named as Metellina mengei based on the black band running through the epigyne. This one was beaten out of a gorse bush.

Rough shots of the next two only:

Zora spinimana - sieved from tussocks

This is, I think, an immature Pardosa sp. Something I've never done, but I'm going to try and rear this one through to adult-hood. You never know!

Now a couple of collembola ...

Entomobrya nivalis - beaten out of gorse.

Pogonognathellus longicornis - sieved from leaf litter

Also sieved from leaf litter ....

Stenus bimaculatus - based on the leg colouration and central keel on basal tergites.

Balclutha punctata

Some sort of maggots

Whilst Charnwood Lodge is a fantastic site, it is a place I am very wary to visit after the early spring due to my very rational and healthy waryness of these buggers .....

 No, you mooove over.

No comments: