Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 1 March 2020

Charnwood Lodge 01/03/2020

After a long busy week, striding around the factory in workboots, I needed to get out and fill my lungs with fresh air and stride around the sodden earth in walking boots. But first I had more work stuff to do before I was off. There had been some nice sunny spells in the morning, and by the time I headed out at just after midday it was still looking promising. I headed to Charnwood Lodge, with no real plan other than to poke about, sieve some leaf litter in the woodland and try sieving tussocks in the more open areas. I had a great three hours or so, and I've got a few bits to ID - which apart from one well-marked Stenus sp. are all non-beetles. In fact, whilst I had a great time the only beetles I found were Tachyporus spp. and other Staphs. That I ignored.

Still, who needs beetles when you find one of these in your sieving tray .....

I'm sure that this is Neobisium carcinoides, but I've got it potted to check out further.

So with stuff to ID and no photos of them to share as yet, here are some general shots of Charnwood Lodge - or at least the bits I walked around. The sun stayed out for long spells, but there were a few short sharp showers though they passed through quickly.











2 comments:

AJ Cann said...

I agree with you on the pseudoscorpion. https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/neobisium-carcinoides

Skev said...

Cheers Alan.