Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 23 March 2020

Non-believer

Bright sunshine, relative peace, solitude. Birds singing and going about their business, plants putting all of their stored energy to use and pushing up through the slowly warming soil, insects awakening or starting the next phase in their journey to adulthood. It could be idyllic. And yet these are dark times indeed. It's at times like this that many will turn to their religion for comfort. Each to their own and all that, but as a complete atheist it's at times like this that I know there is no God. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that all that awaits my 'soul' at the end of my journey is nothing, whilst my body will (hopefully, if my wishes are fulfilled) become a source of nutrition back in the earth. And I hope that is still a good way off!

I am not a complete philistine though. I find the architecture of buildings of religion impressive. I find the internal structural work, objects and artefacts equally interesting. Any time I am visiting a city where there is a large building of religion I quite often grab a few snaps. If we're on holiday, we will usually make a point of going inside such places. I see no contradiction in this - I feel the same visiting any other historic building.

There is no point to this rambling, it's just something that came to mind whist browsing through past photos with a cuppa after a day sorting out our front conifer hedge.

La Basilique du Sacré Cœur - Monmartre

Hassan II Mosque - Casablanca



Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation et Saint-Sigisbert - Nancy

Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Lincoln

Catedral de Santa María de la Sede - Sevilla



St. Alban's Church - Copenhagen

1 comment:

martinf said...

A man after my own heart. I'm with you on this. Bury me in a cardboard box in a green space and let me go back to the earth. As you, hoping it's a long way off as I've loads of beetles to still see :)