Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 27 March 2020

Shifting Through the Lens

Meh, I'm just not feeling it today. Whilst the sun was out there was a right nippy wind blowing through. Consequently not as much happening with no new insects showing themselves. The moth trap last night was pants too.

In fact the only bit of interest came during darkness without me knowing about it until this morning. I noticed what appeared to be fairly fresh droppings in the garden yesterday, and decided I'd lay some bait and try to make use of the camera trap I bought a while ago (on a whim, it's hardly been used). It worked, but I'd forgotten that the camera needs to be set a bit further back than I had left it so all the clips are a bit out of focus. Here's a brief one ....



So having caught this Hedgehog shifting through the lens, I set it back up later in the morning just to catch a few birds and check the distance whilst I got on with some work. Later on when checking, I had a few clips so downloaded a neat free bit of software to edit a couple of them (VideoPad Video Editor from NCH) seeing as my new PC is Windows 10 and Microsoft have ditched Movie Maker in the process. Nothing exciting, I'm just playing.



Not sure what to do at the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if the weather was total shite meaning I can't get out anywhere. Oh, wait .....

6 comments:

Gibster said...

Never mind the birds, get it set up on those Grape Hyacinths, could be all kinds of invert goodies on offer. Though can you tick 'em from a vid...?

Charnwood Ringers said...

Good Stuff Mark. I've been putting food and water down throughout the winter so any hogs up and about had something to go at. Most of the time the food was untouched and got finished off in the morning by Magpies. We had up to 3 hogs last summer and no doubt some from here will be visiting you round and vice versa.

Charnwood Ringers said...

Forgt to add - we've also had fresh poo this week (in the garden and down Cheer Close) with food eaten and water visibly lower most nights. Cheers Neil

Skev said...

Those hyacinths have been busy with Bee Flies for last three days Seth, and odd butterflies but not much else as yet. The camera did come with some sort of screw on macro lens but I've never tried it.

I sometimes see an odd Hedgehog around the moth trap Neil, but maybe they're using the garden more than I realise. I would normally have cleared the bird feeders away around now but decided to keep them going whilst we're 'home based'! I'll see if it comes back tonight, but there's not much point putting out anything like cat food ....

Stewart said...

Mark if your camera trap catches a brief Alpine Accentor on your lawn, you can tick it even though you never saw it. Its what the NocMig lads do all the time :) ...

Skev said...

I reckon Stewart that if an Alpine Accentor was popping around on my lawn there is as much chance I would be able to nip into the family run-around time-machine and nip back ready to watch it.