Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 16 March 2020

A Hem

I'm both clearing my throat and referring to a Hempiterid.

Before that though, I had a bit of a squint at a couple of records I submitted a few days ago referring to both of the leafhoppers I posted about here. Both were new to me, neither appeared on the NatureSpot website and I wondered if there were any previous records. Both records have since been fully accepted by none other than the National Recording Scheme organiser Dr Alan Stewart, which means I can see them mapped against all other currently known records on the NBN Atlas. I have no idea if they are genuinely new to VC55 (still can't get hold of any working list of VC55 Hemiptera) but it kinda looks that way. These screenshots are from the NatureSpot website; the red dots are my records and the yellow squares are other known records in the neighbouring counties and a bit beyond ....


What are the chances of adding two species from the same order to the county list from the same area, using the same recording method on the same date!

However this success is moderated by a bit of an epic fail. Virtually everytime I've gone out recently I've been finding Drymus spp. and/or Peritrechus spp. I've submitted records which have been accepted - except one. The ground bug I found at Altar Stones, remember the one? - the photo next to a fragment of what looks like a Hornet's head - this one ...


Anyway, checking the antennae confirmed it wasn't another Peritrechus geniculatus, it was 'the other one'. I then cocked up by blithely naming it as 'the other one' that I knew and not realising it was actually the other other one .... It is not Peritrechus lundii, which I've seen and recorded before (hence the name in my head). It is Peritrechus nubilus (which I haven't seen before) as pointed out by Maria Justamond. My bad. However record corrected and all good in the end. Here's a shot of the antennae showing the thinner third segment versus the first.


I'll end this blurb with another new-for-me species, this one with eight legs ...


This cracking large spider is Coelotes atropos. I found a couple of them at Charnwood Lodge under bark on rotting logs, and collected one to check.


Although unlikely, there is a very similar species (Coelotes terrestris) which has so far not been recorded from VC55, so whilst the ID was pretty much conclusive it did need a quick check of the epigyne to be 100%. I managed to get shot and release the specimen later in the evening.

It's not pretty.

4 comments:

martinf said...

That last pic is rather unsettling.... :)

Skev said...

I can't disagree. I have to be honest that I can't physcially handle 'proper' spiders - hence that spider-wrangling wooden spoon I was using. No problem handling moths, beetles and bugs. It must be inate!

Edward Evans said...

Received my copy of the caterpillar book today, excellent isn't it...

Skev said...

Yes, a great addition to the book shelf. Just need some decent weather and freedom of movement in a few weeks time ....