Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Tort Tick

Amongst the generally pathetic-for-mid-June catch in the garden moth trap last night, I did managed to finally notice and record this .....

Isotrias rectifasciana

This is a new one for me, though I am absolutely sure that this is because I will ignored it in the past amongst various Cnephasia spp. This one only caught my eye as it was sitting on the white trap funnel isolated.

Seems as good an opportunity as any to also post some other recent early-summer torts - all found by day. It's pretty obvious which one was photographed in the field ......

This one from Huncote Embankent is almost certainly Dichrorampha plumbana - gen det required
Only one previous VC55 record, err, mine!

Dichrorampha alpinana from Whetstone

Pammene aurana from Cosby

5 comments:

Steve Gale said...

I'll say it again Skev, your macro photography is excellent. Are you sure you're not really a professional photographer not letting on?

Skev said...

Thanks Steve - I can assure you that I'm barely professional at anything, let alone photography!

Bennyboymothman said...

I echo Steve's comment, truly amazing close-ups, keep up the good work. I saw your Isotrias rectifasciana yesterday and said to myself that i've never seen it, and what turns up in my tap this morning... a Isotrias rectifasciana!! what great luck, so thankyou for posting it otherwise I may have disregarded as a Cnephasia sp like you said.

Christopher Sullivan said...

I have to echo the above comments and write that the photography is very good and as someone who attempts macro-photography I know how difficult it can be. Thank God for digital photograpy.
Very interesting blog.

Skev said...

Thanks Ben and Chris. I'm certainly pleased with a lot of the recent shots, especially considering the relatively basic set-up I am using.