Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Stonecrop

Back on Sunday when it was sunny, I found loads of this down a rough farm track that runs parallel with the lane - and had no idea as to what it was ......


It's very small and low-growing, and I really wasn't sure if it was a vascular plant or some sort of bryophyte. A quick enquiry to local all-rounder Graham Calow brought about a very solid suggestion of Biting Stonecrop, which I am sure it is though I will look out for it flowering later in the year.


One thing I noticed but couldn't get my head around was some creeping stems with round blobby green bits on that looked different to the rest of the plant. Maybe these are leaves of some sort on non-flowering stems?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, the stems with the so-called blobby green bits, could well be White Stonecrop.

Trent Duval said...

Mark, this is almost certainly Sedum acre.
It is commonly known as Biting Stonecrop, Goldmoss Stonecrop, Goldmoss Sedum and Wallpepper.
You'll appreciate one of its more colourful local names.....
"Welcome Home Husband Though Never So Drunk" !

Skev said...

Thanks both - I'll keep an eye on it all in future weeks as I'd like to see the flowers. Next time I'm down there I'll check more closely as to whether the 'globby' stems are on the same plants or if indeed there could be a mixture of stonecrops down there.

Like the latter local name Trent - has a much better ring to it than the 21st Century equivalent 'Don't You Dare Come Home Pissed, Again'.