Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 17 April 2020

Streaming

Thanks are due to Seth for pointing out my weed yesterday was not what I said it was, I'd just blithely named it without looking properly. We have both Sycamore and Norway Maple on the embankment.

I'm later posting this evening than I would of liked, as we've just been on a family video link for a couple of hours. I have to confess that I am starting to get past that point where these things work and you know how/why, and more to the point where I'm glad the house is full of yoofs. We used 'House Party' and screen cast the phone onto the TV.

The moth trap was a little better last night despite the wind strengthening. Pleasingly my favourite spring geometrid featured ...

Streamer

Common Pug

Shoulder Stripe

I've not bothered putting the trap out tonight though as it had started raining well before dusk. I don't mind if rain comes during the night after the trap is already out, but I don't bother setting it knowing it is going to be wet.

Best find today was an absolute stroke of luck. I noticed a small beetle scutting up the inside of the kitchen window, went to grab a tube and by the time I'd come back there was no sign of it. I had a good look for 10mins but no sign, and gave up on it as one that got away. Bugger me almost three hours later when grabbing a mug the same beetle was on the same window - but the tube was in easy reach and it was contained. Turned out to be new for me ...

Omonadus floralis
c3.5mm long (those ruler gradations are 0.5mm). I shall try and card it, but it won't be pretty!

I've also noticed a handful of the same fly in the garden, which I have very tentatively identified but so far no response to an ID question on UK Diptera ..

Top photo was yesterday, bottom one from today. Believe this is an Anthomyid, possibly Delia radicum. But that could be way off.

Meanwhile I appear to be winning the annual garden contest with Nichola ...

No comments: