Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 11 January 2009

Waxwings

Waxwings are great birds, full of character and with a full suite of redeeming features (tinkling call, superb colours, not rare but not common). The only thing I don't like about them is driving around Loughborough for an hour trying to catch up with the buggers to get photos! The sizeable flock was not immediately obvious at the locations reported from yesterday, but I eventually picked up around 20 briefly perched in a tree - not feeding and clearly not settled. I managed superb scope views but no chance of getting any photos, especially when they fecked off again. Another 20 minutes or so and I again picked some up perched in a tree, and managed to count 31 before they again flew off. There was only a couple of smallish trees with berries on the Belton Road, and plenty of pyracantha berries in the school ground, but these were all being ignored. I got the impression that the larger flock was dispersing whilst the birds looked for better feeding opportunities. I was about to leave them to it when I picked up a single bird feeding on apples - and at last managed to get a few shots. Waxwing - greedy birds, but at least they get five a day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey Skevo, I only commented that you hadn't updated your Blog for a while........... and you go all prolific on us !

KT

Skev said...

Ah KT - about time for a post-season curry I reckon?

Anonymous said...

Too bloody right mate.
Post-season or pre-season, there's always a good excuse for a ruby.

I've got some minor surgery coming up a week Friday, so sometime next week would be great ?

KT