Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 31 January 2009

Half-arsed Bird Spotting

I needed to nip into work this afternoon for a couple of hours, and thought I'd precede this with a bit of light birding. I had it all planned out - Swithland Wood for a relaxing hour catching up with typical woodland birds and grabbing a few shots. When I got there, the car park was bedlam and every man and his dog, bike and horse seemed to have converged there. Bollocks. So, I resorted to a quick and very half-arsed stop at Swithland Reservoir. There were probably some interesting birds there, but I couldn't be arsed to look. The one bird I did watch was Goldeneye - there was a small group off the dam comprising 5 drakes all displaying and trying to get the attention of a lone female. I like Goldeneyes, and their display is definitely worth making the effort to see. Non-displaying Goldeneye Coot making use of the biggest bird-bath for miles around Before I went into the office, and had another quick look on the adjacent Braunstone estate for Waxwings. For the third time in two days I saw fuck all. On the way out of work at 16:30ish I had another quick look, and this time found 49 perched in a Lombardy Poplar on Hockley Farm Road, just around the corner from the lone berry laden Rowan tree in Avery Hill. Braunstone estate is not the sort of place to park up and get your optics and camera out! 49 Waxwings - trust me High up Waxwing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark

In a post a couple of days back, you paid homage to Japan. Their ex-guitarist Robert Dean now lives in Costa Rica and is an excellent birder and artist. He has even illustrated the new guide to the country's bird. He lives in Monteverde Reserve area and is a top bloke. I stayed with him in 2006 and he was very generous with his hospitality and help.

Your post brought back some great memories for me. Cheers. Great blog too.

Skev said...

Thanks Tim.

Whilst I like all of Japan's work, I think the earlier with Rob on guitar has the edge. Does he still play inbetween birding and painting?

Sadly I doubt I'll have a chance to use his Costa Rican guide in the forseeable future!

The Drunkbirder said...

Wouldn't take much to illustrate Costa Rica's bird! ;o) I thought that Costa Rica was dripping with birds. Just the one won't get me dashing to the airport...