Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 4 January 2009

Rutland Water 04/01/2009

After a busy Christmas and New Year break, I was keen to get out and about and half decided early yesterday evening that a day in Norfolk would be great. That went to the wall though after a late night playing Wii games and the voice of sanity (ie - the wife) pointing out that we had other stuff that needed doing before the kids go back to school etc. So, I opted for a more sensible couple of hours pottering around the non-Egleton parts of Rutland Water. I started off at the dam - and it was fecking freezing. There is always a wind in your face along the dam and today was no different. After a short 'stop-scope-stop' walk I picked up a pair of Scaup - nice. No signs of any divers from the dam though, so I opted to head to Whitwell Creek. After scoping for 10 minutes or so, looking out to the open water from the creek, I was surprised by 2 Great Northern Divers that popped up fairly close in the creek. Bloody typical - camera was in the car. By the time I'd legged it back with the camera the divers had moved further out so only a poor distant record shot possible. Great Northern Diver - no fecking loons at RW today I then bumped into Matthew Berriman, Allan Pocock, Andy Forryan and Ben Croxtall who were returning from the other end of Whitwell. I quick chat and exchange of news and I was off to scope the open waters. A few minutes later, I'd added Red-throated Diver to the list for the morning, and then a drake Red-crested Pochard lingering on the opposite coast of the Hambleton Peninsular. By now I'd noted most of the common and regular wintering wildfowl and waterbirds, and also a few other species like flyover Golden Plovers and a small Dunlin flock. And it felt like my toes were missing. A half-arsed look from the end of Barnsdale Avenue failed to produce the two Black-necked Grebes. I nipped into the Egleton reserve with the intention of getting an annual permit - but soon abandoned that idea when I realised the cost had now escalated to £25 (for LRWT members like me who have already paid £18, or £50 for non-LRWT members). Fucking hell - put this into context by thinking of the number, diversity and excellence of the RSPB reserves you can visit for your £34 annual membership. You could even go to Loch Garten and see real Ospreys. Anglian Water can kiss my my big fat arse. A free glance at the feeders produced a handful of Tree Sparrows amongst the common finches and tits - always a favorite. I was now thoroughly chilled and decided to have a quick look at Eyebrook before heading home. EBR was partially frozen over though and not much about. I spent some time scoping the loitering large gulls in vain, and a busy Redshank on the island. Wigeon - add in the evocative whistling yourself I called it a day and headed home, where a quick check revealed a modest list of 58 species for the morning. More importantly, it felt good to feel toes again.

No comments: