Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 13 April 2008

This week, I have mostly been listening to ..

.. The Smiths, The Divine Comedy and Pulp - three great bands headed up by three of the greatest lyricists of recent times. The Smiths were fucking awesome in their hey-day, and Morrissey has continued to put out the odd great song over the years. "Park the car by the side of the road, you should know, time's tide will smother you, and I will too." The Divine Comedy are/is brilliant. Only Neil Hannon could write a lyric with a twist like this: "Well the course of true love never ran smooth, They broke my heart and I broke theirs too, And breaking hearts is so very hard to do, But I knew I'd find the one, And sure enough she came along, And not long after than along came you." Pulp - anyone who bears their arse to Michael Jackson is either ironic or genius. Jarvis Cocker is both.

No comments: