Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 26 April 2008

Casual moth sightings

After failing to see the Cossington Bittern, I was a little surprised to find a Grey Pine Carpet sitting on the side of the car as I was leaving.

Grey Pine Carpet. Yes, I know it is brown.

The weather picked up fairly dramatically on Tuesday with glorious sunshine and a bit of warmth. I've seen very few butterflies so far this year but on Tuesday I noted Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone and Peacock from the office window. Also at the office (Braunstone, Leics) I found a couple of micros basking in the sunshine on the inside of an open window. I potted up both (always prepared, pots in desk drawer). One was Acrolepia autumnitella - very few previous records, one from my garden on 15/07/2003 was only the second for Leics & Rutland. The other was a Phyllonorycter corylifoliella.

Acrolepia autumnitella

No comments: