Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 26 April 2008

Dipping last weekend

Having dipped on the Thornton Res Redstart on the Friday, last Saturday (19th) was entirely taken up by an all-in day out at the Rugby again. Copious volumes of beer and wine made for a very lazy evening and very little chance of getting up and out early on the Sunday. Which was a shame as a Bittern had been seen at Cossington Meadows on the Saturday afternoon, and getting there early on the Sunday would have been a good move. As it was, I eventually got messages that the bird was still present and had been seen well in flight a few times mid-morning. Nichola had gone into town with Isabelle, so I headed off to Cossington with Josh and Alex. Unsurprisingly, given my usual luck with Bittern in the County, it had gone to ground and was not seen again whilst I was there. In fact the only birds of any note were 3 LRPs, 2 Yellow Wagtails and 2 Redshank on Plover meadow and 2 Oystercatchers flying over. Things got worse! Completely unbeknown to me, a Great Skua was picked up at Eyebrook and watched as it appeared to settle to roost. I picked up news from the LROS website and via a late text message from John (who'd also missed it whilst sleeping off a couple of early starts) late in the evening and decided that a stupid-O-clock start on the Monday morning was in order. I arrived at Eyebrook at 05:15 to find John already there. Despite several searches of the whole res we failed to pick up the clearly departed Skua. FUCK! A pair of presumably plastic Ospreys, plastic (but nice) Red Kite, Buzzard and Black-tailed Godwit were scant consolation. Since then, my working week has been so busy that I've not had a chance to do any other lunch-break or post-work birding - so at least I've not dipped anything else!

No comments: