Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 4 May 2020

Pee Nine Five Oh

I've had a lovely time out today at the hospital. It made for a refreshing diversion to working from home, walking from home, staying at home, food-shopping with people devoid of sense. I've never been so happy at the prospect of a flexible endoscope bringing light to the place where the sun don't shine. I feel very lucky that the NHS is just starting to get back into the swing of dealing with non-Covid stuff in time to coincide with my three-monthly scans and checks. All looks fine, well - clinically at least - if you've ever had a colonoscopy or similar you'll know that it doesn't look pretty on the screen ....

Even in a non-pandemic situation, ordering online on a Saturday evening and parcel arriving on Monday afternoon is pretty good going. Just before 4pm today the P950 turned up, and whilst I knew it would be a bit bigger and heavier than the P600 I've abused for the last 5.5 years, I wasn't quite prepared for how much....

P600 vs P950

P600 vs P950 - both on full zoom

It's a proper handful. It feels balanced though.

Nikon Coolpix 4500, Panasonic Lumix FZ45, Nikon Coolpix P600, Nikon Coolpix P950

The above is not quite the full evolution of my digital photography. My first digital camera was a Sony Cybershot DSC-S50, that really did die and I'm not sure what happened to it (probably in the loft somewhere). It had a swivel screen like the P600/P950 - only a less robust and that's what got broken. It got replaced with the Coolpix 4500 for macro stuff in c2003. I also had a secondhand Canon EOS350D DSLR which I used for birds for a while not long after starting this blog, but it had a dirty sensor and I eventually sold it on e-bay. The 4500 still works (or would if I charged the battery) but has so many dead pixels it is effectively useless. The FZ45 was working fine when I stopped using it, I just wanted a cleaner image which is why I ended up back with Nikon.


The P950 really is a bit of a beast though, and will take a bit of work to get used to. The macro set-up I've been using, with the P600 on a small tripod on the kitchen worksurface and x2 daylight lamps (above), will need some revision I think.

Anyway, out the box, in with an SD card and into the garden with what little charge was on the battery. The first bird I pointed it at was predictably one of the two male Blackcaps that have been frustratingly singing in clear view close by whenever I am without camera in hand. Not a bad first bird photo I reckon.


I charged the battery up enough to have a quick walk down the lane, although the light was starting to go with clouds rolling back in (no doubt they'll roll out before dusk and mothing). I pointed the camera at a Goldfinch on both no zoom and full zoom - no cropping or image editing here, just resized and an arrow added.


and the same with a Woodpigeon ....


It's got potential! I'm waiting for a step-down ring, but as the lens is so massive I couldn't get the full 67mm - 43mm needed for the Raynox lenses. For now I've ordered a 67mm - 52mm which will go onto the 52mm - 43mm I use with the P600. It might not work! The P600 is certainly not dead, and unlike the FZ45 I don't expect it will just be left ignored. Whilst the dials and controls are flaky, that's only an issue when out and about and changing modes. The image is still clean and is the same resolution as the P950, so I may well continue using it at home for macro stuff for a while until I get comfortable with and (hopefully) somewhere near proficient with the P950.


Anyway, that's enough blathering on about cameras - here's some beetles knocked out of hawthorn on Saturday afternoon.

Lochmaea crataegi

 Neocoenorrhinus aequatus, or whatever it's called this week

Cantharis decipiens

Lately I've been listening to the Wake Up the Coma album by Front Line Assembly ...

3 comments:

martinf said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit. There's no more humbling an experience than watching the screen as a camera approaches ones lilly white nethers in the company of others...
The zoom on that camera is insane..... can't believe the image quality at that distance. Bonkers. The only positive is my new pond means I can't afford a cheeky Nikon purchase.

Gibster said...

And I thought that I'd had an interesting day... Glad that both the camera on a pipe and the camera in a hand gave such good results. In fact, as Martin says, that zoom is just insane.

Kinda glad you didn't post pics from the camera on a pipe though, if I'm being brutally honest buddy ;)

Skev said...

Sadly the flexi-sig images are not sharable ...... but I am glad that the endoscope is considerably inferior in girth to the Nikon 😬