Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 10 May 2020

Crystalline Green

The garden moths traps were splendid last night, but I'll save the moths for another day. Especially so as an hour after emptying the traps the rain came down and temps plummeted, it's not going to be a great week weather-wise and, anyway, I'll be busy doing some more decorating. We were meant to be lapping up some sun and alcohol on Sal this week but obviously that was cancelled. We've still got the time off though so more sanding, prepping and rollering - can't wait. I like trying to precariously reach the highest part of the landing above the stairs best ....

There were a few other bits in the trap though, including a number of small ichneumonids that I can't honestly say I've bothered noticing before. I've already had Ophion minutus this week, and there were another couple last night plus what I think are two other species. Maybe they'll get named on the 'moth trap intruders' facebook group.

Ophion minutus again

Possibly this is Perilissus albitarsis. And possibly not.

Think this is another species - black thoracic markings, darker antennae, black 'feet'

Pill Beetle

Here's a couple of bits from yesterday's walk ..

I swept this hopper from grasses and low vegetation. After mulling over it for a bit, I worked out it is Agallia consobrina, posted it to a facebook group and got the ID confirmed.


Apparently a common species, but looks like there are only a handful of previous VC55 records. A new one for me either way.

More standard fare included these swept from hawthorn ....

Grammoptera ruficornis

Cantharis nigricans

And the most interesting bit of a swept cranefly ....

Tipula vernalis

Loving the green eyes on that.

2 comments:

martinf said...

Possible thrips tick in Grammoptera pic? Love those eyes such a shade of green. You IDd the Byrrid?

Skev said...

No Martin, but it is almost certainly B. pilula as the others seem to be very scarce here. Thrips can wait a good many years I think!