Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 11 February 2020

Web Master

I have never knowingly seen a 'Noble False Widow Spider' Steatoda nobilis. Up until 2015, it had not been recorded in VC55, but since then in conjunction with a general UK spread it is turning up more frequently. But the main reason I've not seen one is not that they are scarce, it's because I don't look at enough spiders lurking in corners at home, other indoor situations or public toilets.

This evening I decided to have look at the smallish spider that has been patiently sitting in the corner of the ceiling next to our front door. It wasn't S. nobilis. It was close though, the much commoner 'Rabbit Hutch Spider' Steatoda bipunctata. Surprisingly it was an adult male, which are meant to be around in summer/autumn.

Steatoda bipunctata

Whilst I've been readily stating that this is Steatoda bipunctata, when I last bothered to look and record one from the house there wasn't much chance of a confusion but of course since then S. nobilis has moved in and so has S. grossa. Strictly speaking they need closer inspection to confirm. So in the interest of getting a proper record from here and seeing as it was a mature male I whipped off a palp to check.


Comparing this to the illustrations in the older Collins guide I'm happy, but I'll put a record in to get verification.

I still can't get anything useable whilst using my proper microscope, and he above crappy shot is about the best I could do with my USB microscope. It's also the last, as I found this evening that the clamp that holds it onto the stand is broken. The outer plastic has also gone a bit manky and sticky over time - no idea why - so I think I'm going to have to get a new one.

No comments: