Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Sunday 16 February 2020

The Cherry on Top

Remember me saying how lame my botanical skills were, and how my vascular plant low-list had glaring omissions ....

Whilst at Huncote Embankment I noted that a few prunus were starting to bloom. Whereas in the past my complete ignorance/indifference meant that I would have blithely assumed Blackthorn, I was now aware that there was a strong chance that the very earliest flowering shrubs were actually something else. I also knew that the difference was revealed by checking the new growth and sepals. But beyond that I couldn't remember which way around made it which plant.

So, I grabbed some quick dodgy phone snaps and got on with sieving/beating for inverts. It wasn't until last night that I remember to check the photos/ID and gained a tick where before there was a glaring hole.

No sepals showing between petals, flower relatively wide ....

New growth green and glabrous ....

Sepals reflexed and rounded ....

So Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera) duly ticked. I can hear you laughing from here.

3 comments:

Gibster said...

I'd have to check, but I think this was about my 1100th plant lifer in Britain, just a couple of years back. A big glaring hole in more lists than just yours, buddy!

martinf said...

Laughing, maybe, but now planning to pop out and check that flowering prunus that I drove past today!

Skev said...

Ahh, good, Don't feel such a plum now ......