Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 10 February 2020

Garden Listing

Up there on the tabs I have a page for Garden Lists. In reality, the only list on there that I actively make any effort to build is the moth list (now 698sp.). The bird list (70sp.) just creeps up by one or so every couple of years, and I've not had a new butterfly (20sp.) here for years.

This evening I bothered to check my Mapmate, had a quick squiz through photos and the blog, filtered out a couple that are not confirmed, and found that my garden beetle list is 69sp. Given that most of these are casual records or something in the moth trap, I was surprised at the total. I'm absolutely certain that it is incomplete, and I'm also certain that if I actively sought to increase the garden beetle list it would grow at a reasonable rate.

Here's one that I found in the garden in the pre-blog days long before I had any interest in beetles:

Agapanthia villosoviridescens - 17/06/2006

If I can be arsed, I might add another list before long - maybe hoverflies.

4 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Great amount of moths ..

martinf said...

Made me look at my garden beetle list. Only 115. I must do better!

Skev said...

I think you'd laugh if you saw my garden Edward, but I should point out that it's taken c21 years to get to 698sp. - mature gardens in more favourable habitat/counties would easily surpass that over the same time.

I think that having drawn up a list Martin, it will give impetus to adding to it. I suspect adding beetles won't be a problem, and especially stuff taken at light it's being bothered to check and record them.

Edward Evans said...

Ah, I have always had a huge interest in moths, but only got a trap late August, you'd laugh if you saw my garden but we're approx 280m above sea level in upland grassland, moorland and woodland. I do the Rishworth posts on Calderdale Moths blog if you don't know who I am.