Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 3 April 2019

Bramble Nep

A few weeks ago on 11/03/2019 I found both vacated and tenanted mines on bramble at Martinshaw Wood that were right for Stigmella aurella ....

Vacated mine, very 'silvery' looking with reddening around the edge and (though you can't see it here) dispersed frass within the mine.

Tenanted mine

Tenanted mine

Tenanted mine showing larva and dispersed frass

I've only tried rearing nepticulid leaf-miners once before without success, but I decided to have another go. Both tenanted mines that I collected completed successfully to the larva leaving the mine and pupating in a tiny case, and both have emerged - one yesterday and one today.

Getting anything like a decent shot of these tiny beasts is nigh on impossible with my gear, although as per I've not helped myself by trying to zoom in too far. Anyway, here's one of the adults showing the punky orange head you'd fully expect for this species (Stigmella splendidissimella which also mines bramble, though the mine is discernibly different, has a black head).

No comments: